Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Audio: Rep. John Rogers Discusses The Sex Toy Bill

While many house sessions can be infuriating to listen to sometimes certain legislators make it every bit worth your while. One such legislator is Rep. John Rogers.

Yesterday I listened to most of the House session. To be honest, I have become somewhat addicted to listening to our elected officials pretend to conduct the business of the citizens of this state. When they get rolling they are more hysterical than any slap stick comedy routine. I mean you absolutely would not believe some of the things they say and do with the mic on. I know it is an expensive form of entertainment...but really it can't be beat.

Most of yesterday was pretty dull though. Sadist Rep. Mike Hubbard decided to have all the bills read at length as a stalling measure because he was mad that he had been clotured in recent days. Don't you just love it?! Because of Rep. Hubbard's wittle hurt feewings he held up the business of the citizens of this state for hours and hours on one of the very last days of the session. Bump cloturing him....he needs CLOUTING upside the head. I'm talking straight-arm him. Must be nice to have that kind of power. (NOTE: I am not picking on Rep. Hubbard because he is a Republican. Democrats often do the exact same thing.)

I started listening at 1:00 when the House came to order. When I left at 4:30 to pick my husband up from work things had started to move a little bit. When I got home about 5:15 I was stunned to hear Rep. John Rogers discussing HB12 a bill that would repeal the ban on the sale of sex toys in Alabama.

Yesterday morning, as I was contacting many legislators on various bills, I decided to drop Rep. Rogers a note and ask him if that bill was going to be put on the calendar. I also told him that, while I was glad it passed the house judiciary committee unanimously, I was very disappointed that no debate was allowed in committee. I told him I had been waiting for months to witness him discussing that bill. I have no idea if my email had anything to do with his decision to bring it up out of order yesterday or not. Could be just a coincidence.

Anyway, I recorded the session and I have compiled this clip of the sex toy discussion for your viewing/listening pleasure. Please excuse the background noise including a number of occasions where I tell members of my family what bill is being discussed. I haven't mastered the subtleties of Audacity yet.



Long Live Rep. John Rogers!! The legislature would be a much duller and less colorful place without him.

2 comments:

Dave Krueger said...

Does anyone know what happened with SB12 regarding the sex toy ban? I plan to write about Alabama's sex toy ban on sexhysteria.com and can't really find out if it passed, although the text of the statute has not been changed (at least on the state website).

Dave Krueger said...

Oops. I meant HB12.